New foodie try: Simple and easy Kale chips! Recipe included :)

Several years ago while loitering in wonder in a natural foods market, I found and purchased my first ever bag of Kale chips. Habanero flavour, if I remember correctly. It must’ve been a precious commodity because the price tag on this handful of kale chips seemed like I was paying for it by the gram, as if it were gold. I fell in love immediately, and there was no turning back.

I am not a good cook. Sure, I can piece together a home cooked meal, but I’m not a recipe person usually, so it’s usually a one-time culinary experience and then I can never manage to remember exactly what I’ve done when the occasion presents itself the next time. I am hoping to rectify that situation via this blog and an eternal hope for healthy eating. Anyway, I digress.

As per the norm, whenever I taste something that I absolutely fall for, I go home and google it. If you’re anything like me you know exactly where I’m going with this. You google, always included in the search terms are keywords: easy, simple, fast… And every recipe you find is: Not easy, not simple, maybe fast, usually contains 1-30 extra ingredients that are not on-hand or are impossible to find (especially when traveling. Seriously, how to hunt down ‘baking powder’ in Cyrillic, Thai, Farsi or Yiddish?!)

I searched and searched….I found many great kale chip recipes but all, soooo yummy looking, but too much work. (Hello Dorito ranch kale chips!)  Until this beauty was found 🙂

-Rinse kale and remove from stem

-Place all kale leaves in a large bowl

-Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss (just enough to make sure that the leaves are oiled, but not so much as to soak them)

-Place on a baking tray (go ahead and pile it on, they shrink down when baked)

-Salt to taste. (I prefer freshly ground Himalayan pink sea salt & a little goes a long way)

-Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 120-150 C or 325 F

-Put in a bowl, crunch and enjoy!

Simple as that!! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did 🙂

-mliae

1. mukul chand says:

Nice Pictures and great post.

Thank you! 😀

2. Sounds fairly easy. I might try this out.

3. cjstorm says:

Very nice… I’m definitely trying this today! Thanks for sharing, cj

Fantastic! Let us know how they turn out 🙂

1. cjstorm says:

The picture of your kale chips look amazing and I’m sure it tastes a LOT better than mine. I added dill and a little red pepper (right now I have to stay away from salt…). That would have worked except I realize I didn’t drizzle and toss enough because there were several pieces that were still soft but I’m definitely gonna try it again. 🙂 When I do, I’ll post before and after batch photos! Wish me luck!

OMG…red pepper and dill sounds so yum! *mouth watering I’ll be waiting for those before and afters 😀

4. Soul Gifts says:

I’ve had no luck with making them, but this sounds really simple 🙂

It is…I wasn’t having any luck either and this is about as simple as it gets 😉

5. Wendy says:

I love Kale but have never tried Kale Chips – this is definitely on my ‘to do’ cooking list! and well done for sticking to the weightloss journey – I’m on one too but have hit a bit of a plateau so it’s great to come across your posts – they’re really inspiring me to keep going! x

Thanks! I you love Kale, you’ll really enjoy those chips 🙂 Let us know how it turns out!

1. Wendy says:

Will do – thanks very much! x

6. tokyolocalsites says:

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon this recipe on the net & I must say it has always been a hit. I sprinkle mine with a salted Italian Herb mix. Simply divine !

Oh, that sounds great! I’ll have to try a herb mix next time. Thanks for the tip 😀