Voices of Sudan

This 2007 pictorial book; Voices of Sudan by David Johnson, was my January pick for the recycled book challenge. When I found it, I realized that it is an autographed copy, and 100% of the profits went to Help Sudan. .

This pictorial book is quite heartbreaking. It covers the realities in the Sudan and of the Sudanese people in the early 2000’s as a result of 30 years of civil war and Jihad. These realities include slaughter, rape, imprisonment, kidnapping of young boys to train as fighters and mutilation. The Sudanese have also been dealing with a major lack of water, as water was already quite scarce and NIF fighters have sectioned off the Nile river. Without easy access to water, famine runs rampant. Due to being unable to bathe and launder regularly, disease is also a problem.

This pictorial will remain in my collection to be read and read again.

If you would like further information about these types of projects, David Johnson’s Silent Images can provide a plethora of options.

This month I would like to challenge some fellow bloggersΒ to join me in this recycled book reading challenge!

1. Deb,
  2. Leenna,
  3. Your daughters bookshelf
  4. Charlotte
  5. Jonathan Olivier

Thanks for reading!

1. I tend to read lighter subjects…but challenge accepted:-D Will post later in the week πŸ™‚

Awesome! Thanks for joining!! Can’t wait to read it πŸ™‚

2. Deb says:

Challenge officially accepted. I know I said I would join in some time back, but this just brought it closer. Now I will go on a book searching spree around the house. πŸ™‚

Super! I’m so glad you’re joining πŸ™‚ I look forward to reading about what your searching spree turns up!

3. Challenge accepted. It’s a bit pricey out here in Japan and I made my book purchase for February already (it charges first thing on the first… that is how book crazy I am) but it’s in the cart for March.

Very cool πŸ™‚ March it is, then!

4. Colette B says:

Thanks for the link to Silent Images πŸ™‚ There’s a tiny ‘look Inside’ sample of this book too at http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Sudan-David-Johnson/dp/1601940106 -it looks fantastic – and the back pages with info on aid organisations is included in the preview pages. I’m not surprised you’re keeping this in your collection, I think I’d make a grab for it if I came across one πŸ™‚

Hi Colette! Thanks for adding this link…very much appreciated πŸ˜€ Ye, I’m definitely holding this one…