Vegan egg salad

I’ve been craving egg salad so badly for like a week now. So, I decided to figure out how to make vegan egg salad with tofu and egg-free mayo instead of egg and traditional mayo. After a relentless google search for something that was simple enough for yours truly to manage, I just kind of said ‘ok, I get the point’ and went by my own taste buds. This is what I came up. The first bite didn’t exactly taste like egg salad, but after that initial spoonful, it was actually surprisingly good! I scarfed down the entire batch in one day. On toasted rye, in wraps, and on a bed of fresh spinach.

image

(another beautiful fuzzy photo)

WHAT YOU NEED:

• 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • egg-free mayo (also, you can do your research. Surprisingly, some store brands can be found that are actually vegan also…they just don’t advertise it. Shocker, I know!)
  • ½ tsp celery seed (or celery salt sprinkled to taste)
  • ground pepper
  • pickles or pickle relish or fresh cucumber or chopped celery (if you like a bit of extra crush)
  • tbsp of mustard

WHAT YOU DO:

• open your tofu and squeeze all the water out. Crumble into a large mixing bowl.
  • mix in your mustard, celery seed, chopped onion, and pickles (or relish or cucumber if you want) -> mix well
  • I added 3 heaping tablespoons of egg-free mayo (add to taste)
  • mix well
  • pepper to taste
  • SERVE and ENJOY!

1. r_prab says:

I can handle the last word of the post! 😀

Super! It was really….yuuuummm 😀

2. lbeth1950 says:

Now I’m starving!

Sooorrryyyyy 😉

3. Tracy D. says:

I really like your vegan category. Trying to transition to eating vegan, making my own household goods, and purchasing more animal welfare/environmentally friendly products. Have tried a vegan egg salad w/ tofu myself but don’t love the egg-free mayo…maybe I’ll try adding more of the additional ingredients you list above and less mayo to flavor it up some. Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

Thanks! Keep us updated how the going vegan goes for you. I’ll be posting more vegan friendly recipes soon too!