I’ve been craving egg salad so badly for like a week now. So, I decided to figure out how to make vegan egg salad with tofu and egg-free mayo instead of egg and traditional mayo. After a relentless google search for something that was simple enough for yours truly to manage, I just kind of said ‘ok, I get the point’ and went by my own taste buds. This is what I came up. The first bite didn’t exactly taste like egg salad, but after that initial spoonful, it was actually surprisingly good! I scarfed down the entire batch in one day. On toasted rye, in wraps, and on a bed of fresh spinach.
(another beautiful fuzzy photo)
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 onion, chopped
- egg-free mayo (also, you can do your research. Surprisingly, some store brands can be found that are actually vegan also…they just don’t advertise it. Shocker, I know!)
- ½ tsp celery seed (or celery salt sprinkled to taste)
- ground pepper
- pickles or pickle relish or fresh cucumber or chopped celery (if you like a bit of extra crush)
- tbsp of mustard
WHAT YOU DO:
- open your tofu and squeeze all the water out. Crumble into a large mixing bowl.
- mix in your mustard, celery seed, chopped onion, and pickles (or relish or cucumber if you want) -> mix well
- I added 3 heaping tablespoons of egg-free mayo (add to taste)
- mix well
- pepper to taste
- SERVE and ENJOY!