Lip recommendation: Coconut oil
Well folks, I said I would try your recommendations..and I am. Misstery blog was kind enough to share some of her favourite lip products on a comment feed discussion prior to my bath and body works honey mania lip balm review. Thank you! I never would have thought to try this if it hadn’t been suggested to me.
This is an organic, cold pressed coconut oil that I purchased to try for cooking purposes. I jumped at the chance to try this for my lip challenge, because…how awesome would it be to find the perfect that was just hiding in my kitchen cabinet!
Here’s how it went down:
On day one, my lips were already in atrocious condition. Dry, cracked and bloody. Really bad. I filled half a shot glass with coconut oil (in solid form) and started smearing it all over my lips as often as I just could. No kidding, my lips were that dry that they were sucking this stuff up like it was a mojito in the desert. I tried it on my hands too…same effect. I’ve never been this dried out; I’m starting to think its the water in the new place or something. After about 5 hours of constant re-application, the skin around my lips and on my knuckles started to get red and itchy. (Could this be a bit of an allergic reaction or what?)
On day two, began feeling an improvement, no more redness. Still thirsty, still lathering. After about 100 applications, the skin on my lips started to peel off – in sheets. I know that this was just that horrible dry skin shedding away so that new healthy skin could appear.
On day three, lips looked much better, and even fuller. Not exactly like collagen or a shellfish allergy, but not dry and small. Pretty and a little puffy (in a good way) and MOISTURIZED = happy blogger
On day four, everything normalizes. I’m still applying this stuff constantly, but I know enough about its reactions with me to write this review.
What I like about this product:
- Accessibility: This is a somewhat common kitchen product that serves multiple functions. The 217 ml container is 50x the size of your average lip balm container and the cost is low
- Feels very smooth on the lips
- Smells coconut-y
- Multi-purpose: cooking, lip moisturizer, face and hand moisturizer, super hair and scalp treatment and about a bizillion other things
What I don’t like about this product:
- Maybe not for sensitive skin in some cases, as I think I might’ve had a small reaction to it.
- Should be cautious of using any oil product on your face, hands or body during parts of the year when UV is high
- Kind of melted as soon as it got close to my face, so I was using tons of it and all the time
- Container issues: Since you can’t exactly carry around a bucket of coconut oil in your clutch, how do you repackage it nicely for mobility? I kept it in a shot glass at home.
Overall decision: Unfortunately, this is not the perfect lip product for me. However, I will be using it on my lips again in the future because it was really nice and super moisturizing!
The hunt for the perfect pout continues! Any more recommendations for me to put on the try list? I must admit, I’m having a really good time doing this experiment!