Now the major experiments are coming…
Prepare yourself for strings of profanity, tears, maxed out credit card and the occasional trip to the hospital. It’s time for the DIY Home repair, home reno, and crash course gardening section of our blogging experience together!
As most of you well know, I purchased a small very old farmhouse last year. Well, through the past however many months its been and living through the annual seasons thus far, I’ve come to the realization that a lot more work needs to be done than I had originally anticipated. At first, I thought – ‘hey, its mainly just cosmetic stuff…we can manage this little by little – no problemo.’ Oooohhh….how wrong I was!
As it turns out, this would be a non-stop diy 10 year project if I had all the funds I needed for supplies and professionals (electricians, plumbers). But with my current budget (and the fact that a few weeks ago thieves stole my bank card and wiped out my entire account -> yet to be reconciled by the bank) I’m thinking 15, 30 years – tops.
The planned repairs/changes/beautifying:
- Full on yard do-over. This place was so overgrown from years of neglect, that even in several months, we couldn’t cut back the wilderness from the yard. The weeds had grown to small trees and were shoulder high. (Nope, not kidding) So this Spring/summer or plan is to create some serious curb-appeal.
- Continue cutting back the wilderness
- Plant grass
- Create some flower beds
- Straighten the drive
- Make a small terrace area to even out the front
- Replace entry stairs
- Replace front door to mudroom
- Replace mudroom door
- Make planting boxes to grow vegetables
- Build a small bridge
- Build a encasement for yard compost
- Sauna. Both the sauna benches need to be replaced, and the sauna oven itself. Plus its wicked dark in there so I’m thinking a new light as well.
- Attic. The attic needs newer insulation and I would like to create a space where its, you know, actual wall.
- Some of the fireplaces need repair, the chimney needs cleaning
- There is some seriously awful wood paneling. I would like to tear that down and make it a nice looking wall or even a lodge-like area with wood planks. Depending on what we find under it.
- We’ve got carpenter ants. Need to get rid of those and replace the floor and walls in one of the wet rooms because someone very bright put plastic flooring over wood floor and its not working out very well.
The list goes on and on and on… But honestly, I will be absolutely thrilled if we can even manage half of these tasks this summer.
Wish me luck and keep in touch, things are about to get very interesting!
And please, if anyone is willing or able to share some helpful or knowledgable advice, I’m ALL EARS!