Wedding Dress Shopping!

This is me. Trying on the first wedding dress that I really liked. It’s still in the running 😉

IMG_5690

It was a quite surreal experience, I must admit. I never really pictured myself as a BRIDE. I’m not the woman who has dreamed and planned my dream wedding since I was a little girl. Nor am I the ‘princess’ type. I’m more of an understated, classic, simple – type.

Now, as anybody who’s ever planned a wedding, ever, knows: Advice will come out of the woodwork! I’ve heard about all the dresses that I MUST try, dresses I must avoid, dresses that I will regret when I look at my pictures, and dresses that don’t logically equate to the cost/quality equation. And you know what I said? No way! I’ll go insane if I try to take all this advice to heart! So, I made an executive decision to try on at least one dress in every category – keep an open mind – I never know what might look Ah-maz-ing on me! So thats exactly what Im doing. And surprisingly, this eye that is normally drawn to simple, sleek, old hollywood glamour silhouettes, is seeing that other forms can actually be more flattering. For example, the above picture.

BTW- Thanks Chape for helping me get my body back into ‘dress shape’!

On this shopping trip, I didn’t find my dress-love…yet. But I’ll be keeping at it and posting as I go!

What do you think?

1. Brenda says:

The dress is absolutely gorgeous! You look stunning!

Wow, Brenda…THANKS! 😀 I do really love this dress, I’ve recorded the info so I can go back and visit 😉

2. Wow! That looks great!
    Excellent advice.– ” try on at least one dress in every category”… never heard this before. I will share with my girlfriends.
    Have fun shopping 🙂

Thank you! Wow 🙂 Glad you like the advice. It happens all too often that I know exactly what I’m looking for and then it’s like – ‘meh’ when I actually get it on. So on this massive decision, I have to take myself out of my comfort zone. Some of the ones I’d usually never give a second thought to – accent my figure in a much more positive light! So out of the comfort zone it is! 😀

3. Jim says:

oo la la. it gets my vote.

Nice 🙂 Thanks, Jim! Votes are what I need 😉

4. YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!! It’ s sleek and elegant, but as above, good advice try on one in every category..it’s also fun! : )

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 😀 ❤ You're right, it IS fun! (well, until the hoop crinoline comes into play…yikes! People still wear those?!)

5. Advice: Don’t buy a black dress. Don’t buy a see-through dress (it takes all the fun out of searching for the garter). Don’t buy a micro-mini (ditto on the garter search) . Don’t buy one that could result in a “wardrobe malfunction.”
    Seriously, the dress is lovely and whatever dress you ultimately choose will be perfect because it’s the one you love most.

Thank you 🙂 I don’t think you have to worry about black, sheer or micro mini with me 😉 I would blind all of my guests. I can hear it now…’my eyes! my EEEYYYYYEEESS!’

1. LOL As a mama I’d have to come back up your mama if you picked one of those!

6. rhandahinton says:

Trying on a dress of every category is great advice!! Thats what I did, and i was really surprised that some of the categories looked amazing… And some awful. Lol in the end, it all worked out great!

Thank you 🙂 And…EXACTLY! The ones I would’ve never even thought about are really figure flattering (& surprisingly, it doesn’t look that I’m dressing too young for my age) and the dresses that I really thought I loved, looked – well, not so great.

7. chape says:

You look gorgeous!!!
    I should set up a wedding pack, hahaha!!
    Enjoy your shopping and have a great weekend 😀

You should! You should EXACTLY THAT! 😀 I volunteer to be your poster girl 😉 Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 I feel pretty!
      Hugs, you!

8. This one looks good

Thank you 🙂 I really like this one!

9. itsmesaraa says:

You look awesome! the dress is beautiful 🙂

Thank you so much! YYYYEEEEE, I’m so excited! 😀

10. lbeth1950 says:

This is gorgeous. You should see the dress I got married in in 1970. I made it myself. It was white crepe with sheer sleeves. It cost $22. The whole wedding cost $37.50. It was all I had. By the way, the dress was beautiful.

I would LOVE to see that dress! I would also love to get married for $37.50!!! How on earth did you do it?

1. lbeth1950 says:

I had $37.50. My dad bought the cake, $12.50. I bought clearance fabric and lace for wedding and going away dresses and it out of a clearance fabric and used same patter for both dresses. Patterns were $1.99 at time. I am an accomplished seamstress, so I could have made a burlap bag look good. Married at home and had cake, punch, coffee, peanuts and mints at home reception. Bouquet was silk flowers at $3.99. That was all the money I had. My parents felt like the cake was enough for them to buy. Mother did buy film and pay for processing of roll of pictures, but didn’t share with me since she’d paid for them. She did offer me negatives, later. My parents weren’t the indulgent type and weren’t happy we were getting married in college. We had a year left and we’re paying our own way. They felt they had no responsibility after high school graduation. We were married 46 years last week.

That’s awesome! I wish we could manage that. Unfortunately, my sewing looks like a 5 year olds. Congratulations on 47 years!! WOW!

3. lbeth1950 says:

I had been sewing everything I wore since I was twelve. Those were different times. I sewed for my sisters and Mother sometimes. We made all the girls clothes, and Mother couldn’t do it all.

4. lbeth1950 says:

Will do a post and send link.

Please do, I’d love to read it 🙂

11. Deb Glover says:

A beautiful dress you’ve got there.

12. Wow ..that dress is amazing! You look great in it!

Thank you so much! 😀

1. You’re welcome 🙂

13. GeorgieMoon says:

Ooooh! Who doesn’t love a wedding dress! I love it! I never had a proper wedding dress when I married, twice, but I love looking at them, even now, many years later. Good luck with your choice, you will know when you’ve found it!

Thank you so much! This is my first time getting to choose a dress (not my first time around) too and I’m loving it 🙂

14. This one looks great on you! Best wishes! 😀

Thank you so much! I think I might have to go back for this one 😉

15. As I am not married, and am on the backside of middle age (almost sliding past it now), I have never even thought about wedding dresses. I am not the ‘dress type’, and wear one once a year for a banquet I attend, and I have to start thinking about a new dress for the coming one, but . . . not yet. That dress does look fantastic on you.

16. r_prab says:

A good time for the classic , simple girl to try something new and exciting! 🙂

Exactly! And It IS exciting 😀

17. Sheryl says:

Love that dress, from what you describe yourself to be it suits you. Advice will flow freely some good and some bad. Mine to you. Above all else enjoy the day and have fun.

Thank you, Sheryl. Perfect advice!

18. nikisthoughts says:

That dress is beautiful! I remember when I was dress shopping for my wedding about 4 years ago. I wasn’t sure what kind of dress I wanted. I knew I wanted something simple, no bling, no poofy. Well, my mom wanted me to try on a dress that looked like a dress for a princess. It really was beautiful but it just wasn’t for me. I tried it on just so she could see it. She loved the one I ended up getting though. 🙂

19. Connie T says:

I just read an article about people buying a white dress and dying the bottom in colors. They are one of a kind and look beautiful . I just read it yesterday.

Ooohhh..that sounds great!!

Oh, WOW! That really is Gorgeous! 😀

That is a GREAT story ❤

20. J L Hunt says:

You look great! Congrats to you 🙂

I think so too 🙂

21. Penne Cole says:

That’s a beautiful dress! I’m just about to start on this journey too 🙂 Hope you have a lovely wedding and joyful marriage.

Thank you so much! All the very best to you as well 🙂

22. Wow ! That dress is so beautiful! I wish you the best of luck 🙂