This has to be the healthiest sushi I have ever eaten!
As I stated in my previous post, I have been on the hunt for good, organic superfoods and nutrients that will serve as a compliment to my vegetarian lifestyle. I was absolutely thrilled when my package from Indigo Nutrition arrived! There are so many nutrients – brain food, that I need and this Supergreens Powder has ALL of it! Yes! Brain food, power food, ENERGY FOOD!
I couldn’t wait to get cooking. The only question is: What to create? I carefully opened the package and peaked inside. Green. Awesome, just as I thought, since the contents are 100% Organic Wheatgrass Powder, Organic Barleygrass powder, Organic Spiraling powder, Organic Chlorella Powder & Organic Mooring powder it would be a surprise if it were say …red. I took a big whiff (we do like to smell foods, don’t we?!) and it smells like …seaweed! 🙂 Question answered! Sushi it is (vegan, of course)!!
So we made this gorgeous set-up:
Here’s how you do it:
Cooking and Prep Time: approx 1 hour (this includes cooking, cooling, prep & prettying)
Serves: 5 (as in, 5 large rolls.)
What you need:
- 1 package of tofu
- 3 teaspoons Indigo Nutrition Organic Supergreens Powder
- Sushi rice (cooking volume: 1 decilitre sushi rice to 1,5 deciliters water)- for this recipe we used 4,5 dl sushi rice
- 6,75 dl water (adjust if using varying measurements of sushi rice)
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 pack of seaweed wraps (usually come in packs of 8-10, but this recipe only needs 5)
- A bamboo rolling mat (covered in plastic wrap) OR a sheet of baking paper
- Small cup with water for rolling
Preparing the ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit
- Measure your sushi rice, put in pan or strainer and rinse well with cold water. 3 good rinses and drains should do the trick
- Add the required water into the pot: 1,5 parts water per 1 part sushi rice
- Bring stove to a simmering heat to cook the rice. Cover the rice and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is completely absorbed. (Check frequently! Sushi rice is temperamental)
- While the rice is cooking, remove your tofu from the package and rinse. Cut into length-wise strips and place on baking tray to bake.
- Place baking tray with tofu strips into a preheated oven at 175 c for 15 minutes. It should begin to golden when it is done.
- Cut one small cucumber into julienne strips to be used as filling
- Measure out 3 teaspoons of Indigo Nutrition Organic Supergreens Powder and place into a small bowl.
- Take rice and tofu from heat when they are cooked and set out to cool. (The fillings must be cooled or the seaweed wraps will pucker)
Making the rolls:
- Place 1 seaweed wrap on a bamboo rolling mat (thats covered with plastic wrap) or on a sheet of baking paper (shown below)
- Fill ½ -2/3 with a small layer of rice. Don’t over-fill or it will not roll properly.
- Place one line of the baked tofu strips and 1 line of the cucumber strips (next to the tofu) towards the front of the wrap.
- Sprinkle Supergreens powder gently over the tofu and cucumber filling
- Gently life the end (closest to you) of the rolling mat or baking paper and the beginning rolling fold of the sushi. Squeeze across the roll to give it a little compactness. Put the mat or paper back and continue rolling, squeezing gently along the way to ensure it holds.
- Roll until there is a bit more than 1 cm (0r ½ inch) of empty seaweed left to roll.
- Dab this last section with a few droplets of water and run finger along line before completing the roll. The water will act as an aid to help the end of the seaweed wrap stick to itself and will seal the roll.
- Set aside until all rolls are completed.
- Cut into 2,5 cm (1 inch) sections and lay flat on a plate. It helps if you use a large kitchen knife with a few water droplets on the blade – to prevent tearing the seaweed wraps.
- Sprinkle the tops lightly with the remaining Supergreens Powder, for an extra boost!
OK, I have to say a few things about this. Firstly, the sushi turned out awesomely! Secondly, these Supergreens are truly SUPER! We are both usually so tired by the end of the day. This small serving of these powdered greens gave both of us a serious energy boost. (I had a partner in crime on this one, so I know it’s not my imagination.) About 3 hours after we ate this sushi, we both looked at each other and were like – ‘I’m not tired… AT ALL. You?’ – ‘Nope, me either.’ – ‘I like that Supergreens powder!’ This fantastic boost of energy lasted about 5 & ½ hours after the meal. I can now tell you that I will have some of this with my food during the day so that I can continue to be a fully functioning human, even after the work day has ended! Yeah, Baby! Yeah!
The Organic Supergreens Powder can be found here. Indigo Nutrition is located in the UK, and they are currently offering free UK delivery with purchases over 30 British Pounds. Best part? This company does offer worldwide shipping, at a very reasonable rate not at the crazy high rates most internet shops do. All you folks around the globe, I’m looking out for you. I hate paying as much for shipping as I do for the product. I know how you feel, so I try to let you know when a good thing comes my way 😉
What do you think about supergreens/superfoods?
Thanks for eating! 😉
*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary portion of Supergreens in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. Which I have given, and I love this stuff! 🙂