Capsule Wardrobe Survival: 8 Ideas to make your black dress work overtime for casual, office and evening!

Hello ladies πŸ™‚ This post is for all my comrades in the eco-fashion, capsule wardrobe journey. As well as those who, like myself, are wiling to invest in an item of clothing that can do triple-time, even if there isn’t exactly available funds for a luxury purchase. (Thus creating the necessity to make your few items work well for you in multiple social circumstances).

Today, I bit the bullet and purchased this dress. (Ok, it was actually a joy, not a chore.) Although I do have a Vince Camuto LBD that I purchased years ago and still get quite a bit of wear out of, its short, low-cut and sleeveless. It’s winter now. I just…can’t. Something about snow, wind and a mini skirt just doesn’t calculate well. I haven’t had a basic black dress for winter in many years. However, I thought long and hard about how I could make this purchase worth my while with the items I currently have available for my winter capsule wardrobe.

As most of you know, I have made myself a promise that I would not buy fast fashion (Which unfortunately, also means affordable for someone with a next to nothing budget) and that I buy only natural fabrics. I went on a long search and found this dress. 95% cotton and 5% elastin. (I prefer zero elastin, but hey, sometimes it’s just there. Like, good luck finding a pair of jeans with no elastin. Am I right?) Then I kept it bookmarked for a few weeks while I weighed the options. Today, I checked out πŸ˜‰

ur621c005-q1110

The following are the ways I will turn this basic black into a Capsule Wardrobe essential that will work overtime for a variety of occasions!

• Firstly, you can just wear it like it is with a pair of black flats.

cef8d36bb4d955e227c6178e92186b0a

• Dress it up for a semi-formal evening Β or a hot date, with a glamorous necklace and sexy heels (rose gold, in my case)
  • Accessorize a great look for the office with a big cozy scarf, a light necklace, and thick heeled ankle boots
  • Go boho with a loose cozy poncho and thick heeled ankle boots or wedges
  • For an easy to achieve highly sophisticated look, pair the dress with a brown leather obi belt and brown and black heels
  • For a super casual day, throw on those converse and a denim jacket! (I’m so glad wearing sneakers with dresses is fashionable now!)
  • For another business look, pair with a cashmere cardi, a skinny belt andΒ highly sculptedΒ suede ankle heels
  • If it’s really cold and you just want to be warm, cozy and look super cute; Throw on your favourite boyfriend sweater over top of it and pair with boots or sneakers.

It’s all about accessorizing, ladies! It’s amazing how versatile this one item can be when using items you probably already own to make it go from casual to office to a night out!

What are some of your must-have capsule wardrobe staples?

*Please note: These photos have been taken from pinterest, google and my own items. There are no shopping links contained within.

1. Lovely πŸ™‚ I am also a big fan of Converse with everything..although I adore heels since my foot operation a few years ago I am limited to how long I can wear them for.
    Great post! πŸ™‚

Thanks! πŸ˜€ Yes, I can imagine that heels go out the window after foot surgery…ouch! Converse rock and they go with everything!

2. piratepatty says:

So where did you find this little gem? Like you I have a LBD for Spring/Summer but really need one for winter! This looks perfect!

Hi there πŸ™‚ Nice to be in good company! I actually found it at Zalando, but since it took so long to dig it out, you might have better luck just looking for the designer. Its the ‘Urban Classics’ knit dress, length below the knee.

1. piratepatty says:

Thank you! It really is versatile!

Happy to help πŸ™‚ It really is, I couldn’t believe the extremes the looks could go to myself, until I got stuck in!

3. LBD a must have in any wardrobe…….! Great purchase for years to come……..

Totally! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

4. gabbykeen says:

I’m not hugely into fashion but I enjoyed this blog and found it very helpful as I do love a LBD:) Thank you.

Hey, thanks! Thats always great to hear πŸ˜€

5. Penne Cole says:

What a great buy. Black dresses are always super versatile.

Seems that way! πŸ˜€

6. Awesome!
    Shiva
    πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ™

Thank you! πŸ˜€

7. I just had a sort out of my wardrobe and had to throw out my long sleeve black midi dress – you’ve inspired me to hunt for a better quality one πŸ˜‰ Gaby x

8. Great post and I love your accessory suggestions! A black dress is definitely a staple in a capsule wardrobe. I am a fan of black pants, but I’m also obsessed with my skinny black jeans right now too.

YES! Love the basics in a sexy style.. so easy to create an easy look that’s beautiful!