Hello ladies 🙂 This post is for all my comrades in the eco-fashion, capsule wardrobe journey. As well as those who, like myself, are wiling to invest in an item of clothing that can do triple-time, even if there isn’t exactly available funds for a luxury purchase. (Thus creating the necessity to make your few items work well for you in multiple social circumstances).
Today, I bit the bullet and purchased this dress. (Ok, it was actually a joy, not a chore.) Although I do have a Vince Camuto LBD that I purchased years ago and still get quite a bit of wear out of, its short, low-cut and sleeveless. It’s winter now. I just…can’t. Something about snow, wind and a mini skirt just doesn’t calculate well. I haven’t had a basic black dress for winter in many years. However, I thought long and hard about how I could make this purchase worth my while with the items I currently have available for my winter capsule wardrobe.
As most of you know, I have made myself a promise that I would not buy fast fashion (Which unfortunately, also means affordable for someone with a next to nothing budget) and that I buy only natural fabrics. I went on a long search and found this dress. 95% cotton and 5% elastin. (I prefer zero elastin, but hey, sometimes it’s just there. Like, good luck finding a pair of jeans with no elastin. Am I right?) Then I kept it bookmarked for a few weeks while I weighed the options. Today, I checked out 😉
The following are the ways I will turn this basic black into a Capsule Wardrobe essential that will work overtime for a variety of occasions!
- Firstly, you can just wear it like it is with a pair of black flats.
- Dress it up for a semi-formal evening or a hot date, with a glamorous necklace and sexy heels (rose gold, in my case)
- Accessorize a great look for the office with a big cozy scarf, a light necklace, and thick heeled ankle boots
- Go boho with a loose cozy poncho and thick heeled ankle boots or wedges
- For an easy to achieve highly sophisticated look, pair the dress with a brown leather obi belt and brown and black heels
- For a super casual day, throw on those converse and a denim jacket! (I’m so glad wearing sneakers with dresses is fashionable now!)
- For another business look, pair with a cashmere cardi, a skinny belt and highly sculpted suede ankle heels
- If it’s really cold and you just want to be warm, cozy and look super cute; Throw on your favourite boyfriend sweater over top of it and pair with boots or sneakers.
It’s all about accessorizing, ladies! It’s amazing how versatile this one item can be when using items you probably already own to make it go from casual to office to a night out!
What are some of your must-have capsule wardrobe staples?
*Please note: These photos have been taken from pinterest, google and my own items. There are no shopping links contained within.