My Guilty Secret: Weekend Cleaning Motivation

Welcome to my weekend πŸ™‚

I don’t know how many of you out there are familiar with the show hoarders, or the UK version – The hoarder next door. Β But these shows are…horrifying…and disgusting. And the best possible remedy for this lackadaisical cleaner – ever.

I don’t know what it is. But if I sit down in front of one of these episodes, I get up immediately after and clean my home like I’m expecting a Presidential visit. There’s a problem with this theory though and that is that I also find myself scrutinizing every little thing…and wanting to put out everything I don’t need to survive. Which is ridiculous, because I don’t have so much to begin with. Anyway, I do get a lot done.

What’s your biggest cleaning motivation?

1. u2hearts says:

My parents don’t want them to think I’m an unorganized slob

I can totally understand folks as a motivation. Nothing like those last minute frantic hovering sessions to get one in the habit!

2. I used to watch Hoarders too but stopped as there were too many little animals in it that were so horribly neglected. It had some very harrowing stories…

OMG, I know!! That really shows the mental illness aspect of it, its horrendous.

1. So very sad that this happens at all .

3. avaswan says:

I have to, no one else here does any cleaning! And I like cleaning, I’m weird like that. Ha!

I am so jealous. I hate cleaning, but I love a clean house, so… But I’m right there with you on the ‘no one else will do it’ line.

4. jackcollier7 says:

Treating cleaning as part of my exercise programme.

THAT is an AWESOME idea! Hmmm…I think I’ll do that πŸ˜€

5. I just cleaned out my closet with five bags going to Goodwill.

Nice! You get the highly motivated of the day award for that huge task – cleaning out and donating is not a strong suit. πŸ†

1. Thanks! I have way too many clothes!

Feels good to lighten up, doesn’t it! πŸ™‚

3. It does, but I went to Goodwill today and got a whole bag of clothes for $22!

4. Thanks! I’m a bargain Betty for sure.

6. Guests are always my best motivation, and lately I’m having more guests than ever. πŸ™‚

Understood! That’s a good one πŸ™‚ Enjoy your holiday festivities!

7. Brenda says:

I’m just starting my Christmas cleaning. I’m still looking for the motivation. πŸ™‚

It’s difficult to get it started…for me at least. Even the thought of guests doesn’t plummet me into clean with a toothbrush mode.

1. Brenda says:

Me neither haha πŸ™‚

8. Peace = My biggest cleaning motivation. That feeling I get after everything has been “cleansed & let go”. Literally and Metaphorically. The best feeling! And always worth the effort of cleaning. πŸ‘πŸ’š

Oh, I agree! The feeling of ‘it’s clean to my standards, now I can enjoy it’ is a beautiful one!

1. πŸ’ƒπŸŽ‰πŸ˜Š

9. Elizabeth says:

Before my spinal cord injury I was super clean. I washed cans out with soap and water before throwing them in the trash. Now my motivation is that I’m trying to get back (at least partly) to the spotless home I had before. Unfortunately, as I look around, I feel more like an episode of Hoarders.

Oooh ouch – spinal cord injury. In that case, not having a museum for a home is understandable. All the best for a complete recovery!

1. Elizabeth says:

Well, the injury is permanent but my spices are alphabetized so I’m a happy camper!

My kitchen cabinets are jealous!

10. piratepatty says:

That Show! Seriously, every time I watch it I’m jumping into my pantry and yelling about not needing 24 cans of pinto beans! lol

I know…right?! That’s EXACTLY the feeling I’m talking about!

1. piratepatty says:

I don’t want to die and people come in my house and go WTF??

OMG, I know! Exactly right!

11. Lol mine is knowing my grandsons will be over, our youngest is five and has DMD which is terminal and also an auto immune disease, and I don’t want to ever be the one responsible for making him ill 😊

Ooohhh…that’s some kind of SUPER cleaning motivation! I bet you could eat of the floors at your place. I am so sorry to hear of your grandson’s illness…
      I know that it must be a heart-wrenching kind of terrifying whenever he gets the slightest hint of ill.

1. It really is, however we are always optimistic πŸ™‚ he never complains and always has a smile no matter what, so we do also πŸ™‚ amazing what you can learn from Children

Wow…He sounds like an amazing little boy πŸ™‚

12. InTheShadeIvory says:

Definitely gives you motivation to clean,funnily enough i find it oddly satisfying to throw stuff out that i no longer use.I think i hold onto stuff for “sentimental” reasons,when really i should just throw it out.I love cleaning when im stressed,very therapeutic ☺️

It is extremely therapeutic! My fiance always asks me why I’m mad when I’m on a cleaning bender. LOL

13. I have to say Hoarders probably is a universal motivator!!!

Has to be! Strange how that works, isn’t it?

14. aimz18 says:

Visitors coming over! You know that meme which says “I get more cleaning done in the 20 minutes before friends come over”… yep that’s me!

Haha! I love it, we’re that way too, sometimes.

15. Someone coming over gets me cleaning

16. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    Introducing Life Experiment Blog!

17. Cleaning the world is my biggest motivation.

18. mymotormouth says:

My mum is exactly like this, but i guess it’s a good thing!

Its a good thing, trust me! Sometimes it’s so hard to get motivated, but big tasks are easy to tackle after witnessing one of these shows. It’s like we start wondering what people think when they walk in our home and its ‘game on!’.

19. Yes! Whenever I see one of these shows I get the motivation to start my spring cleaning early!

20. Love Horders. I also love watching other people clean on YouTube. Especially when they do a before and after. Haha.

Ooohhhh…before and afters are a must!

21. areadingcat says:

I hate when there’s a mess! I need to have everything cleaned ALL THE TIME! LOL xx

I KNOW, right? I’m the same way. It makes me insane. I don’t like ‘lived in’, if you know what I mean.

22. janetsm says:

My biggest cleaning motivation is knowing that visitors are coming! It works every time. Too bad they don’t come more often!

Haha! Nailed it! I get more done in 20 mins before visitors, than I do all day!