Wifi Crashes, Everyone Panics

on

What happens when the Wifi goes down? Life ends, of course. Or so one would think, anyway, if one witnessed the morose, nearly teary-eyed faces that are the result of a lost internet connection.

I realized after several hours, that, the struggle is real. This got me thinking; Are we really so dependent on our devices, that it feels like our world is crashing down around our ears when we can’t use them temporarily? That’s not OK.

How did we get to this point? How did we get so chained to our screens that the simple act of living life, going outside to play, throwing a snowball – takes so much more effort than zoning out on a video game for hours on end. You’ve all heard me rant about these things before. But more and more, it is becoming apparent to me that our complete and total dependence on the internet is becoming a problem.

Now, I’m not talking about googling recipes, downloading your workout regime or online shopping. Not even the occasional video game  and certainly not Netflix. These are all things that can be done in a relatively short period of time, downloaded & referenced later, or what have you. What I’m talking about is our drool-faced, empty staring, moved to tears because Instagram can’t be accessed – absolute addiction to a constant internet presence. This is not healthy. For any of us. Since when are we so important that emails must be received and answered immediately, regardless of the time of day? I’ve got news for you: 92% of us are NOT that important. (Random statistic created within the boundaries of my own skull.)  You get what I’m saying. We have kept ourselves in an on-call status for far too long now. More than ever, I think it’s time to force ourselves to unplug every now and then. Go out, live life, then come back and reconnect to the net.

What are your thoughts?

*Photo via Pixabay

1. srbottch says:

Exactly, Mliae. I urged kids to get outside this weekend and enjoy the snowstorm we’re having. They laugh at me.

I believe it easily. So much has changed since I was a kid. I could waste an entire day with a paddleball, roller-skates & a pack of gum!

2. I have to say, I am one who has been so locked into social media that any sign of disruption has given me a headache. But I feel self aware of how it is bringing us down at times and so I have vowed to be on social media less and enjoy life more.
    I agree with you, when I was a kid, life was much easier.

I know, right? Thank you for confessing to the social media attachment. I think, we all find ourselves checking obsessively for no reason other than habit, sometimes. After this little eye-opener, I’m seriously considering setting some restrictions on my usage.

3. 365daysofnew says:

My 30 Day Challenge in December was to limit myself to 30 minutes a day on my device. It was eye opening what I spent my time doing and really freed me up to doing other things I really love. Sometimes we don’t realize how sucked in we are, but totally worth it to unplug and be present.

That is a GREAT challenge! You are so right. Awesome comment, thank you! 😀

4. Jim says:

I use my cell phone as a hot spot if my Wifi decides to take a temporary nose dive like it did last week. But I’m not gong to die if it doesn’t come back soon.

Good to know! I’ve considered trying to do it, but I’m a bit paranoid about how it will go when traveling.

5. Authoress51 says:

When I read a book,go to the jacuzzi, go to church, etc. My phone is off not down.

That is great to hear! 🙂 I’ll be working on this…being able to walk away.

6. Jennie says:

Well said, Mliae!

Thank you, Jennie! 😀

1. Jennie says:

You’re welcome! 🙂

7. itsmylife126 says:

Agree with you totally

8. So sound. I have learned patience at last, but what really used to upset me most was when I didn’t know whether or not it was my incompetence.

Haha! Love this. I can imagine wondering WTH you might’ve done. Sooo frustrating, I’m sure!

9. It’s funny, I lost internet yesterday for 20 hours. (I know because I was counting) Most of the day passed by with no big deal, but later on I was itching to jump online, do some research, read articles, and other silly things. I wound up reading a book which was probably time better spent.

Time much better spent, I would say! It’s so weird how that happens isn’t it? Feeling the urge to go online. …

10. Glenda says:

There is even a name for the phobia of being without your phone… something like nomophobia😜

Sent from my iPhone

Really?! I did not know that 🙂 Pretty interesting…