Random Factoids 28.03.2018

A strawberry is not a berry, but a banana is.

*Source

Huh??!!?

1. Glenda says:

Say WHAT! Very interesting 🤔

Right??? I was like…WTF.

2. If this is true, it must be a Mandela effect.

Ok, I’m displaying my ignorance now…what exactly is the Mandela effect?

3. adguru101 says:

Strange but true! “Strawberries and raspberries aren’t really berries in the botanical sense. They are derived from a single flower with more than one ovary, making them an aggregate fruit. True berries are simple fruits stemming from one flower with one ovary and typically have several seeds. Tomatoes fall into this group, as do pomegranates, kiwis and—believe it or not—bananas. (Their seeds are so tiny it’s easy to forget they’re there.)”

I can’t believe it, I finally got a reasonable explanation for this! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your wisdom on this matter! Now I can stump my friends by dropping this factoid 😉 Love it! Please, keep it coming 😀

4. Colette B says:

I looked at the source and wondered it’s because a strawberry plant is herbaceous and not a tree or shrub, that would make the banana’s classification as a berry correct while excluding the strawberry. Then I read the botanical info from another blogger’s comment to learn the correct classification reason 🙂

I must confess that I was completely stumped by this factoid as well. Isn’t it amazing what we learn in the comments section! 😉