Recycled Book Reading Challenge: Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie

Loved, Loved, LOVED this book!

Agatha Christie is known for her excellent writing and descriptive mysteries. This book, was no different. One of the things I really like about Agatha Christie’s books is the language. English has so many variations. It seems the the older books are written in a clear and easy to decipher English, which many modern books seem to lack. You really do not need a 2 page rambling description. Nor is an author required to use the most obsolete and difficult words one can muster up. Β Authors of older books knew this. It was to the point. 1 sentence, maybe 2 at most – as descriptions and in concise language. After all, is the point not to appeal to a broad audience? This, is one very big reason why I am a Christie fan. Not only are her stories intriguing, but I don’t have to guess at what is being told, nor do I require a dictionary at my side to do so.

I’m not sure exactly where I managed to pick up this book. I have had it in my possession for quite awhile. Once I began reading, I really could not put the book down. I read through the entire weekend day, and then some.

I don’t want to spoil it for you, but in summary: Lots of scientists from France, UK, USA, Netherlands – have gone mysteriously missing. This book is the hunt, the story, the schemes and a good few surprises thrown in.

I love the way the scenes are laid out. Even some of the character surprises (1 big one with the main bad guy) and the way it is so artfully done, it kind of makes the reader mad that they didn’t notice the signs earlier. All which were carefully laid out in plain site. OK, I say no more on the plot.

If you see this book, I say – GET IT! It’s a great read πŸ™‚

If you would like to join the Recycled Book Reading Challenge, please click here for the details. Nothing to it, really. Dust off an old book once a month, post about it, get me the link and I will link to it on my upcoming post.

Here are some posts from this month:

Colette, who is awesome and hilarious – wrote about her To-Read list for the challenge which can be read by clicking here.

Thanks for reading!

1. r_prab says:

Wow! You revoked my memories of Agatha Christie with this. I haven’t read this one though, but your observations on Christie’s beautiful mastery over story telling has made me love this book already. You know my elder brother was never a book reader. He just couldn’t finish 4 pages of any book without getting bored, so I suggested him to read Agatha Christie’s ‘And then there were none’ I told him, you just make an effort to read 10 pages of it and then book will make you read itself! And you know! It worked! He got so hooked he actually finished it in 2 days. That was the first book he ever completed. He was thrilled, and proud he finally read a full book. Ever since then, he became an avid reader! That’s the magic of Christie! πŸ™‚ I loved reading your post! It made me feel good in so many ways! πŸ˜€

You, my friend, are AWESOME! What a great story to share! You are correct that Christie has us hooked within the first 10 pages. I guess that is part of the secret to her great success as an author. (If only we could all do that…no?)
      I do hope that you are happy in well in all of your endeavors?

2. Colette B says:

Hi, no time to read a long piece just now, i’m very behind personal schedule but will return. incomprehensibility of many modern books appear to be Americanised publishing standard i think. intriguing opening and will read more later. Thank you. Just closing my challenge response post in a few minutes or so and will link back as usual. Happy holidays etc πŸ™‚

Awesome! Thanks! πŸ™‚

1. Colette B says:

Reading this again it doesn’t look such a long post now, guess I was having a bad day for it to appear too long to read it all. I’ll have to look out for some Agatha Christie finds. Enjoyed reading your writing on this. Your quote posts look interesting too…

No worries, we all have those days. Glad to see you back πŸ™‚

3. Glenda says:

Agatha Christie’s books are so good and they are always intriguing! As many as I have never read destination unknown. I’m going to get it! You give terrific suggestions.

Heeeyyy…that’s great to hear! Thank you! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Thank you! I’ll get you linked up for this week πŸ™‚