Feeling Defeated – Did The Challenge Get The Best of Me?

I’m not quitting, I don’t think. But I am having one of those discouraging days when I just don’t think I can carry on with this challenge anymore. It’s difficult. I knew it would be when I started it. But it’s also…expensive. I can no longer go to my fave ‘cheap stores’ to buy affordable food. Instead, I’m paying €5 for a jar of mayonnaise.

My diet is extremely restricted – as I can only eat what’s seasonal and grown locally (with the exception of wheat powder, sugar, rice, eggs, butter, oil and dried beans that I’ve allowed myself) so that basically leaves me with red currants, cucumber, kale, summer squash, turnips and potato at the moment. In a few weeks we can add onion and carrots. Now this sounds like a lot. And it is, because its summer. That’s what scares me. If, during the time of plenty, I’m hungry and bored….what will happen in a month? Will I still be eating salads? Or will cold food be a thing of the past and I’ll be going the potato, cabbage and rice path. What am I supposed to do? And why can’t I buy a 20 penny bag of macaroni to save money and use as a filling in my salads to make them last longer? Why do I find myself spending more and eating less?

I keep telling myself that this is good for the local economy. Small farms that work hard to bring in any profit and that I would much rather give them my hard earned money instead of just throwing into the machine which manufactures our food as a multi-billion dollar industry. I mean, the machine doesn’t notice but the local farmer definitely does – and they are thankful. This one thought is what is keeping me on this challenge at the moment. Well ok, that and the hope that I will eventually find myself a bit healthier since I’m not eating a diet full of processed foods.

However, now that I mentioned that – I feel as though I’m actually eating a ton more processed sugars. You see, I have to preserve most of the food I have so that it will last me past next week. Since the harvest times are short and the crops do not last forever, I find I must buy when it is available (and more than I will be just eating for a couple days) and preserve, freeze, dry the rest so that I have at least a bit of something different to break up the monotony in the coming months. (Am I really planning to last that long. No. No way I can do it. But I do plan to at least incorporate this local buying strategy into our lives in the long-term. So in a way, yes, I guess…but nooooo.) But do you realize that 1/4 kg (about Β½ lb) of sugar goes into each bottle of juice? I averaged it out. I use 2 kgs sugar per 10 liter pot of currant or rhubarb juice. Each pot makes between 8-12 bottles of concentrated juice. We then pour a bit of the concentrate and then mix with water. But that’s still ALOT and that’s only the juice! Jam, again –like 2 kgs sugar. Even pickling requires a bit of sugar in the mix. I assume this is why I’ve lost basically no weight.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at today. Any words of encouragement would be thoroughly appreciated at this point.

Thanks for reading

*Photo sourced via Pixabay

1. Kripi says:

Don’t loose hope .There is only only way to reach the goal and that is keep going.
    All the best !

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! You are correct. Just have to keep going.

2. vegtutor says:

Freeze, dehydrate, or can whatever is in season so you have some variety when seasons change. Thinly sliced vegetables and fruit can be dehydrated with no sugar and they taste great! Try sprinkling a little sea salt and nutritional yeast on sliced zucchini or tomatoes before dehydrating — so yummy! I put these chips out at parties and they always go 😊

Oh! I hadn’t thought about salted dehydrated zucchini…great idea! Thanks for the advice πŸ™‚

3. Jennie says:

As the success goes up, there are daily hills and valleys. Think of it as a serpentine line. Look at the whole picture, not just one day of a valley.

4. Marge says:

Holding out hope – keep on supporting your local produce! Sometimes it needs baby steps!

Thank you, Marge! I really jumped into the deep end this time. I’m thinking baby steps might be the best way.

5. Maybe you don’t have to do it all at once, without a break?

You are probably correct. However, I know if I take a break – that will be the end of that entirely. Honestly, I’m really thinking about just trying to make it through the end of the month and let that be that. I want to incorporate local food into my daily life, but restricting myself solely to that is just proving too much.
      How did people do this? Or was it just much easier when everything wasn’t readily available everywhere they looked?

1. Having been born in 1942, throughout my childhood local was the order of things – and also we didn’t have fridges. Incorporation seems the way forward

Let me ask you; In 1942, when you say that local was the order of things – was there more variety in what was grown locally? It seems to me that local growing has made a shift since the 70’s to singular crops. There’s only 1 farm I found locally that has a variety of vegetables growing. The rest of them seem to be singular crops. Presumably those which sell better to the big food companies. Like wheat, for example.
        I think you may be correct that incorporation will be the way forward. I’ve been giving that A LOT of thought this week.

3. I was too young to know where the food was sourced from – but there were many small shops everywhere – no supermarkets; Sainsbury’s for example had little shops before they expanded there outlets. We had greengrocers, bakers, butchers all selling local produce in season

Exactly. We have that here also, but mainly only in the larger cities. (But alongside those larger shops) Now see, I think it would be so much nicer to have that specialization now in every area. It feels like…. I dunno. Like we’ve messed up something good in lieu of ‘by it all here’ depots.

You called that one right…

6. You can do it!! I’m on day 8 of 10 on my detox. We need to stay strong!!!πŸ’ͺ

Thank you for the words of encouragement! πŸ™‚

7. You’re making too much of it. Relax. You can do it. It’ll all pan out. πŸ™‚

Thank you for your comment. Relax is good advice πŸ™‚