When the Holidays Sneak Up on You.

This year has been a bit strange. I am usually that insanely excited person who decorates early for the holidays. This year, I’m late for almost everything. It’s like time is just flying by and I still haven’t worked up the nerve to go sort through storage and drag out our Christmas decorations. I mean really. It’s not like we have so much that it’s overwhelming.

Everyone’s happy that ‘oh, I got my decorations up last week’ and ‘I’ve just finished my gift shopping’!

christmas pixabay

…and I’m over here like

metaphor-pixabay

Any ideas on how to banish my inner Grinch and get back into holiday beast mode are appreciated!

*Text photos sourced via Pixabay. Feature photo is my own.

1. The holiday beast mode will come

*Fingers crossed

2. pop on your favorite Christmas movie, drive around and look at holiday lights with the Christmas music playing. Maybe it is a year that you need to do simple Christmas. Don’t go all out hog wild, just put up simple decorations and see if that is enough

I can hear Jingle Bells in my head while reading your comment. What a Christmas-y idea! Hmm.. Yeah. I could always pop in my Perry Como cd that I listen to every year when we decorate the tree – maybe you’re onto something here!

1. adguru101 says:

Oops, finger slipped!

Hah. Don’t you hate it when that happens? ;P

3. adguru101 says:

Treat yourself β€” a long bath, hot chocolate, massage or anything you find relaxing. You don’t need to buy into the commercialism, just feel peaceful and do as little or as much as you want to this year. πŸ™‚

Just reading that felt relaxing. Seriously. Thank you, I think that I will be following your advice!

4. Girl! I get it! I am in the same boat…I think we’re finally going to put up our little tree this weekend!

It’s nice to be in good company with this! We finally started getting in the mood today. Still no tree, but hopefully this week πŸ˜‰ Did you get yours up?

1. We finally did! Ours is a really petite one so it’s not a huge deal to out it up! I say let it happen when it happens, even if it is after Christmas πŸ˜‰

Niiiicceeee! I like the petit trees. The big ones the big ones kind of swallow up the entire room…you know?

3. I know what you mean, but I may not mind it πŸ˜‰

Haha πŸ™‚ I hear you!

5. SarahC says:

What goes up must come down…. We are simplifying for sure in a small space.

You are so correct about that! Simplifying is a good thing. I think we’re going to keep it small this holiday season as well.

6. Jennie says:

I know how you feel. An old Christmas movie or The Hallmark Channel is a great fix!

You do? That’s so nice to hear… I was starting to feel like a bad person, but I see that it isn’t just me! We don’t have that channel here, but Christmas movies we have! πŸ˜€

1. Jennie says:

You are not alone! πŸ˜€

High-fives all around for team Grinch! ;P πŸ˜€

7. I feel like this every year, but know it’s because I’m tired as over-commercialized.

I agree with the others: relax, listen to and watch Christmas favorites, and go slowly with decorating.

I also highly recommend service, especially an activity involving children.

That’s a great way to state it. Really πŸ™‚ We are taking it easy. Started to finally get in the mood today…yay!

1. That’s great! We picked up a real Christmas tree last night, so the pine smell around the house is helping me. πŸ™‚