Interesting Topic For Discussion. What Do You Think?

Last evening, I found myself engaged in a debate. And the debate was this: Do dogs feel love or do they rather feel a sense of security and loyalty which we mistake as love?

Personally, I would like to think that dogs do have a sense of love and attachment. However, there were really good arguments made for both sides of this. I would really like to know what you think!

What do you think: Love or loyalty?

1. Amanda Cade says:

I say love. I’m not sure it can ever be proven either way, so I’m going with my instincts…and the answer that makes me happier. πŸ™‚

I am with you on that! Thank you for chiming in πŸ™‚

I can work with that πŸ™‚

2. itsmesaraa says:

I can easily say that it’s both…
    Dogs get attached to their humans, the way we love them and pet them and play with them make them feel the love we have for them and in that same way they learn to love us too.
    My dog and by accident bit me a couple of months ago, *accidentally*. I can assure you that he felt guilty, he didnt come out of his dog house for 4 days, till i got better and was able to see and pet him. He felt guilty and got really sad… he felt bad about what happened. That accident made me know for sure that they have feelings.

There are no better pets than dogs !
    That’s why i got 3 dogs myself and could happily get more and more !

Merry Christmas to you dear xx

I am loving that you included an example! I’m so sorry to hear that you were bitten (I know how easily that can happen) but good for your dog for feeling awful about it!
      I’m a 100% dog person too πŸ˜‰

3. u2hearts says:

Both by loving they are loyal to the ones they love. I don’t think it’s loyalty that makes them so happy when I come through the door but I think it the loyalty that makes them protect the house. 🐾🐾🐢🐢

Hmmmm… I think you have a very valid point here! πŸ˜€ I like your style πŸ˜‰

4. Love! I believe that dogs are the most loving and pure creatures on earth. Sure, my dog is loyal to me as well and enjoys the affection I give her, but I’ve got to believe she really loves me too!

I know, right? My dog is so snuggly and he pouts when we hurt his feelings. So there has to be some love there.

5. I have seen pets die soon after their owner. I feel it is love.

I agree with this so much! That was exactly my thinking…only about pets that what for their owners (at the road, empty houses, & those that never return). That can’t be about food & safety. That has to be a heart thing.

Great minds… πŸ˜‰

6. Jennie says:

I think love, and that naturally becomes loyalty.

That makes sense. I haven’t seen a comment here yet that loyalty, not love. Although my friendly debate had several people saying that and I was like…Nnnnoooooooo…