Vegan Cabbage Casserole
Vegan Cabbage casserole – serves 5
A simple way to create a warm dish for a family meal, Cabbage casserole is traditionally served including mince meat. This spin on the recipe uses Vegan Textured Vegetable Protein mince as a minced meat substitute which works beautifully!
This dish is perfect for an evening meal on a chilly autumn day.
What you need:
- 1 small-med sized green cabbage, cubed (or ½ large green cabbage)
- 2l water (enough to cover chopped cabbage in boiling pot)
What to do:
- Chop the half cabbage into bite-size pieces
- Boil for 30 minutes in a medium pot with 2L water with the 2 veggie cubes
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400 F
- Take a separate large baking pan
- Fill bottom of baking pan with the 2 dl uncooked rice (only enough to cover the bottom of the baking pan)
- Sprinkle 1 ½ dl TVP pieces on top of the uncooked rice
- Once the cabbage has boiled for 30 minutes, ladle everything (cabbage AND the water it cooked in) into the casserole pan. It looks really soup-y but the uncooked rice and vegetable protein will soak up the water and cook in it when it’s in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours or until the top has begun browning.
- Best when served with currant jam.
*Disclaimer: I was provided the textured vegetable protein in exchange for creating the recipe