I made this recipe with my pickling spice, which was part of a package of spices from Buy Whole Foods Online UK that came with the challenge of creating new recipes with the spices. This turned out to taste very good!
If you need a simple and easy dish for your starting menu, this is it. There are 5 ingredients only (cucumber, onion, pickling spice, vinegar, sugar) and no cooking necessary.
In this recipe, I only call for 1 tsp of this particular pickling spice. When it sits in the cold, the flavour really comes out and it is delicious! If you are using any other kind of pickling spice, I suggest working the measurement out for yourself first, as this recipe uses only this type which has a very distinct taste.
What you need:
● Small dish
● Cucumber, sliced
● Onion, sliced
● Pickling spice (1 tsp)
● Sugar (1 tsp)
What you do:
● Slice your cucumber and onion and place in dish
● Sprinkle 1 tsp pickling spice and 1 tsp sugar over the top
● Make a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water and pour slowly over the cucumber mix. You only need enough to cover the cucumber mix.
● Gently stir to mix and make sure all the cucumbers and onions have a coating of the vinegar mix
● Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Stir at least once more during the sitting time in the refrigerator
Place on the table and enjoy!